Thursday 8 July 2010

Going Around in Circles

In the overcrowded UK with our often small houses it's very rare that a whole room can be taken over to run a nice roundy-roundy model railway.

One of the problems this presents is that we are not able to run-in our latest purchases very easily, a compact end-to-end portable branchline or industrial complex not being ideal for such unless one wishes to go totally mad shuttling the loco back and forth.

The answer might be to go back to those innocent childhood years of the trainset on the carpet in the form of a circle of track to allow ones pride and joy to run around for an hour or two in either direction to get the mechanism bedded in.

The only problem you might encounter will be the cat because they don't quite hold the same esteem for the finer detail we all expect on models these days. For shortly after this snap was take, Fleur took a swipe at the little locomotive – thwack! That's one of the reason for the blanket, firstly to avoid the paint being scratched as it hits the floor, and secondly to keep the noise level down on these fangled laminate floors.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute cat,

    I had my cat jump up on a polystyrene board I was using to make a module and it flipped like a seesaw, flinging track and mockups of buildings all over the place. I'm just glad my loco wasn't on there! The cat just jumped clear and looked at me like it was my fault.

    I'm liking what you have done with the colliery building. I want to do something similar for my On30 layout but finding a suitable wheel for the pit head is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you could do is to glue 2 large steam loco wheels together face to face so the flanges are on the outside.

    ReplyDelete

All posts will be approved before they go live, posts from spammers will be deleted and marked as spam.