About Me

My photo
Professional Photographer, Model Maker, Writer & Pretend Musician

Saturday 26 October 2024

Harman Phoenix 200

 

Some results from this new ‘quirky experimental’ Harman Phoenix 200 colour negative film made at the Ilford plant in Mobberley Cheshire. It’s definitely an ‘art’ film, with increased sensitivity to the warmer end of the spectrum, grain and limited anti halation layer. 

Box speed is supposedly 200 iso, but in reality it’s a 100 iso film as rated here. But could drop it further tbh. Probably not at every day film, but interesting nevertheless.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, so just shot a few images around the garden aiming for warmer coloured subjects that I’d read and seen suits the film well. Definitely a Marmite film, with very mixed reviews online, especially YouTube. I like Marmite with a dash of hot sauce on toast btw. 

Whilst I process my own B&W, I got Southsun lab to C41 process this set. Having done colour processing at college many years ago it’s not something I wish to get involved with, even with all the right gear it’s a real faff with processing temperatures around 40c and chemistry with very limited shelf life. 

Southsun provided these 25mp scans to download, which were nice and neutral so I could pop them through Adobe Lightroom to boost colour and contrast a little to suit my palette. When the negs arrive back shortly I’m keen to see how my scanning will compare, the film having a mauve colour mask rather than orange. 

Will I use it again? Possibly, it’s not something I’d use for my miniature photography, far too grainy and off the wall colour and contrast wise. But it could be interesting to use for some urban grot environmental photography, I imagine old brickwork and graffiti would respond well to it. Of course I could easily recreate what you see here shooting 100% digitally, but that’s rather too easy and throwaway. 

Zenit 12XP with 28, 58 and 135mm lenses.













No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts will be approved before they go live, posts from spammers will be deleted and marked as spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.